Health insurance agents, brokers, and others of similar professional backgrounds come together across the United States to form hundreds of associations. The Indiana State Association is one example, and we help coordinate efforts across 8 chapters across Indiana.
NAHU, the National Association of Health Underwriters, forms much of the policy decisions country-wide, but state and local associations contribute to much of the day-to-day operations of health agents.
Here at the Indiana Association, we organize charity events and networking, impact legislation at the Indiana Statehouse, and help our members earn and maintain legally required Continuing Education credits.
ISAHU members from across Indiana benefit from online learning, conferences, and the ability to help meet the health, financial and retirement security needs of all Americans through education, advocacy and professional development.
ISAHU’s Mission Statement
ISAHU will improve its members’ ability to meet the health, financial and retirement security needs of all Americans through education, advocacy and professional development.
ISAHU’s Vision Statement
Every American will have access to private sector solutions for health, financial and retirement security and the services of insurance professionals.
ISAHU’s Code of Ethics
- To hold the selling, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a professional and public trust and do all in my power to maintain its prestige.
- To keep paramount the needs of those whom I serve.
- To respect my clients’ trust in me, and to never do anything which would betray their trust or confidence.
- To give all service possible when service is needed.
- To present policies factually and accurately, providing all information necessary for the issuance of sound insurance coverage to the public I serve.
- To use no advertising which I know may be false or misleading.
- To consider the sale, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a career, to know and abide by the laws of any jurisdiction Federal and State in which I practice and seek constantly to increase my knowledge and improve my ability to meet the needs of my clients.
- To be fair and just to my competitors, and to engage in no practices which may reflect unfavorably on myself or my industry.
- To treat prospects, clients and companies fairly by submitting applications which reveal all available information pertinent to underwriting a policy.
- To extend honest and professional conduct to my clients, associates, fellow agents and brokers, and the company or companies whose products I represent.
Indiana has proudly sent five presidents to NAHU since 1972
- Arthur Gayman, Fort Wayne (NEIAHU) 1972 term
- C. Gordon Hayes, Terre Haute (IndyAHU) 1974 Term
- Sandra Sternberger, Indianapolis (IndyAHU) 1980 term
- Robert Tretter, Indianapolis, (IndyAHU) 1999 term
- Patricia Griffey, South Bend (GNIAHU) 2019 term