Health insurance agents, brokers, and others of similar professional backgrounds come together across the United States to form hundreds of associations. The Indiana State Association is one example, and we help coordinate efforts across 8 chapters across Indiana.
NAHU, the National Association of Health Underwriters, forms much of the policy decisions country-wide, but state and local associations contribute to much of the day-to-day operations of health agents.
Here at the Indiana Association, we organize charity events and networking, impact legislation at the Indiana Statehouse, and help our members earn and maintain legally required Continuing Education credits.
ISAHU members from across Indiana benefit from online learning, conferences, and the ability to help meet the health, financial and retirement security needs of all Americans through education, advocacy and professional development.
ISAHU is Gold Certified — the highest certification rating — from the National Association.
ISAHU’s Mission Statement
ISAHU will improve its members’ ability to meet the health, financial and retirement security needs of all Americans through education, advocacy and professional development.
ISAHU’s Vision Statement
Every American will have access to private sector solutions for health, financial and retirement security and the services of insurance professionals.
ISAHU’s Code of Ethics
- To hold the selling, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a professional and public trust and do all in my power to maintain its prestige.
- To keep paramount the needs of those whom I serve.
- To respect my clients’ trust in me, and to never do anything which would betray their trust or confidence.
- To give all service possible when service is needed.
- To present policies factually and accurately, providing all information necessary for the issuance of sound insurance coverage to the public I serve.
- To use no advertising which I know may be false or misleading.
- To consider the sale, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a career, to know and abide by the laws of any jurisdiction Federal and State in which I practice and seek constantly to increase my knowledge and improve my ability to meet the needs of my clients.
- To be fair and just to my competitors, and to engage in no practices which may reflect unfavorably on myself or my industry.
- To treat prospects, clients and companies fairly by submitting applications which reveal all available information pertinent to underwriting a policy.
- To extend honest and professional conduct to my clients, associates, fellow agents and brokers, and the company or companies whose products I represent.
What did ISAHU do in 2016-2017?
2016-2017 in Review
- National Convention/June 26-29, 2016 in Albuquerque NM. 23 in attendance
- Capitol Conference/ February 11-15, 2017 in Washington DC. 24 in attendance
- Region III Meeting/ August 1, 2016 Crowne Plaza, Rosemont IL
- Annual State Symposium/September 27, IU Health Neuroscience Center, Indianapolis IN
- Leadership Training/September 28, IU Health Neuroscience Center, Indianapolis IN
- Awards Program/September 28, IU Health Neuroscience Center, Indianapolis IN
- Strategic Planning/August 12, IU Health Fairbanks Hall
- Monthly ISAHU Board Meetings
- Monthly Executive Board Meetings
- Monthly Presidents Meetings
- 2013 – 2016 ISAHU Annual Budget approved
- D & O Insurance & Liability Insurance for State Chapter & Local Chapters in Indiana
- Qualified for the NAHU “Silver Seal Certification” in 3/2007, 3/2008, 3/2009 & 3/2010
- Qualified for the NAHU “Gold Seal Certification” in 3/2011, 3/2012, 3/2014, 3/2015, & 3/2016
- (Note: Indiana was the 1st chapter in the Nation to qualify as “Gold”!)
- Achieved the “Blue Ribbon of Excellence” (This means that all Indiana chapters qualified for Chapter Certifications!)
- Strategic Business Plan reviewed and published in June
- Monthly newsletter emailed to all members and other insurance professionals
- Email blasts with up-to-date Legislative news from Indiana & DC
- Lobbyist’s reports from Bose Public Affairs posted to ISAHU website
- Local chapter presidents encouraged to participate in quarterly ISAHU Board meetings
- Local chapter presidents included in the distribution of ISAHU Board meeting notices and updates
- ISAHU renewed lobbying contract with Bose Public Affairs Group
- ISAHU actively operates a State Political Action Committee (ISAHU-PAC)
- ISAHU-PAC renewed its contract with Stakeholder, Inc. to administer compliance and fundraising
- Actively promoted HUPAC in e-newsletters, website and special email blasts
- Active Legislative Committee that coordinates state & federal legislative initiatives throughout the year
- Email blasts to members regarding up to the minute activities in the General Assembly
- IDOI Liaison agreement and regular contact with the Insurance Commissioner and other IDOI staff
- Carol Cutter Scholarship was awarded to a first time Capitol Conference attendee
- ISAHU Members attended many events to meet with State & Federal legislators
- ISAHU won their 10th consecutive Landmark Award in 2016
- Carolyn Beck was awarded a 2013 Presidential Citation Award at the National Convention
- Daniel O’Brien & Bill Robinson were awarded NAHU Distinguished Service Awards
- LPRT program promoted to the membership
- NAHU’s Triple Crown Award promoted to the membership
- Nicole Fairbairn, serves on the Board of the Indiana Small Employer Insurer Voluntary
- Reinsurance Program (ISEIVRP).
- David Berman serves on the NAHU Legislative Council
- Patricia Griffey serves on the NAIFA-Elkhart Chapter Board
- Cheryl Terry serves on the NAIFA-Greater Bloomington Chapter Board
- ISAHU Board members participated in events hosted by the “PIA” and NAIFA